Saturday, April 22, 2006

Billboard Justice

Photo credit: an unnamed CDC operative

This fine piece of artistic creativity was carried out by a group known as the California Department of Corrections. (Note: Their website is at Geocities and is more often unavailable than actually up and running.) This billboard is located at Seventh and Folsom Streets in San Francisco.


Here's what the original capitalist versions look like-------->

Many people thought, initially, that this was the work of The Billboard Liberation Front (BLF). It was discovered later that the CDC were the actual masterminds behind it. A statement released by the BLF stated simply, "We did not do this billboard, but we love it."

I am unaware if the billboard is still in it's "corrected" condition, or if the capitalist pigs at Clear Channel have returned it to it's original disgusting state of appearance. I'll have to drive by and take a look.

I love the connection between an oil company and the atrocities we've committed in Iraq.

This is just an example of why San Francisco is such a great place to live.

Hat tip to The San Francisco Bay Guardian where I originally saw the photo.



9 Comments:

At April 22, 2006 9:25 PM, Blogger Rory Shock said...

awesome work

 
At April 23, 2006 12:03 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

True, Rory. I don't think I have what it takes to scale a billboard and alter the graphics. I think I'll stick to putting signs on the side of the freeway.

My hat's off to them, though. I admire what they're doing.

 
At April 23, 2006 1:50 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

that is great. great blog by the way, i plan on making it a daily stop

 
At April 23, 2006 2:09 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Appreciate it, Graeme. Enjoyed reading yours as well. Thanks for stopping in and commenting.

 
At April 23, 2006 5:47 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Hiya, Glenda. Welcome back from Camp Casey. I bet you met a lot of kind-hearted folks like yourself while you were there.

 
At April 23, 2006 6:32 PM, Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

PT,
How are you this fine day? Hope all is well... Love the artwork...actually displayed on a billboard is the "pèace de résistance"! ;>)

 
At April 23, 2006 7:41 PM, Blogger Lily said...

Kvatch (Blognonymous) has posted pictures of SF Bay area plastic soldiers. A few groups are doing that, its a great idea.

Another is a sticker project, not that i am advocating this (snicker) but there are stickers to put on SUV's saying things like "I suck" etc.

The Liberation reminds me of a group way back, the Garden Gnome Liberation Front that stole gnomes from yards. There were some people who will remain nameless that used to steal baby Jesus out of yard nativity scenes.

This billboard is awesome though!!! I love that kind of creativity! Good for them.

Stop by and tell me about these freeway signs sometimes... intriguing.

 
At April 23, 2006 8:10 PM, Blogger Rory Shock said...

your freeway signs rock pt ... and they are light and fast to deploy ... a lot of message for the buck ... signs, signs , everywhere signs ... right on man

 
At April 24, 2006 5:31 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Poetryman, I'm feeling pretty good today, knowing that there's more going on out there than just me and my freeway signs. I love seeing people like the CDC and BLF sticking it to Corporate America.

EB, thanks for the tip. I'll have to drop on over at Kvatch's blog and check that out. Sounds like a really cool idea.
As for the freeway signs, you can check them out here, here, here, and here.
And don't forget to check out The Freewayblogger's site. He's the guy who started this whole thing.

Rory, thanks man. Now that the weather's better, I've gotta get the sign factory going again and get them signs up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home