Monday, January 09, 2006

Mission Accomplished

Operation Guerilla Impeachment Day was a huge success here in the San Francisco area. The goal was to pepper the area with one word and to get that word out to as many people as possible. What better opportunity than the Bay Area morning commute?



I set out to place banners with the word IMPEACH written in large letters across them on as many overpasses as I could get them on. And I think I was very successful as the photographs here will reveal. I hit a pedestrian overpass at hospital curve on Highway 101 in San Francisco, then worked my way down through Highway 280 in Daly City. I then proceeded east to Highway 101 again at the SF Airport and tagged overpasses on Highway 101 from San Bruno to as far south as San Mateo.



I can't take all the credit, though. This task would have been damn near impossible if it weren't for my support staff. I would like to take this opportunity to thank my wife and kids for many hours of scrounging cardboard from the local Costco and trips to the hardware store for more spray paint and zip ties (thanks, honey), and many more hours helping me with the stencil layout and painting of these banners. They certainly worked hard to help me get the word out.



I'd also like to thank my brother, the getaway driver. Not only did he expertly pilot the getaway vehicle, he also assisted me in the hanging of most of these banners and at 4 O'clock in the morning, no less. I phoned him at 2:30 am, after which he promptly went back to sleep. But, to his credit, he did get up an hour later when I called him again, wondering where he was at. We drove up and down the peninsula freeway system on fumes until he finally revealed that he had not fueled up the getaway vehicle. Not a problem, though. We refueled in San Mateo and completed our mission with time to spare.

And last, but certainly not least, I'd like to thank my father for providing the spark of interest I now have for all things political. My father has a unique penchant for political discourse and it seems quite a bit of that has rubbed off on me.



When I went back to take pictures of what we had accomplished, it occurred to me just how much of an impact was made by these small signs with one word on them. Talk about your captive audiences.


  • Paint - $11.97
  • Cardboard - $0
  • Zip Ties - $6.70
  • True patriotism in the form of dissent - Priceless

5 Comments:

At January 09, 2006 3:34 PM, Blogger Lily Potter said...

Thanks for the mention dad, really appreciate it. I hope the signs are still up when we go to the dance school because they look great.

 
At January 09, 2006 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BROWNIE YOU DID A HELL OF A JOB.

 
At January 13, 2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Freewayblogger said...

so that was you... can't tell you how it made myday to see some of my overpasses hit by someone else... the hospital curve impeach was still up after two days, BTW. We need to talk about the 4-in-the-morning thing though - entirely unnecessary. yours, scarlet

freewayblogger@yahoo.com

 
At January 13, 2006 1:16 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Wow! My first celebrity comment on this blog. Thanks for the words of encouragement. It was a lot of fun doing it. I've often looked at your freeway blogs and thought of how thrilling it must be to get your message out to that many people. Never imagined I would be doing it until I joined the IBC, though. My favorite is your Osama bin Forgotten banner.

 
At May 01, 2007 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PT! As always...an awesome protest!

I think my tally for the day would have been:

2 bags of Army Men: $4.00
3 sheets of labels: $.75
1 roll scotch tape: $2.50

"Impeach Kommandos" framed against the Apple and Armani logos at Stockton and Grant streets--to use your words--priceless! :=)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home