Wednesday, September 13, 2006

WAR IS OVER

...if you want it.

I got a call from the Freewayblogger the other day asking me if I'd be interested in helping him hang a big sign on an overpass in San Francisco. I said I'd be glad to help. I met him at the overpass and we had the sign up in under two minutes. Pretty exciting stuff. And the panels were so big that he incorporated coat hangers into the process to facilitate a faster hanging time. It worked and the results looked great as he snapped off pictures from a nearby bridge.


I was wondering what he meant by a sign that said, "War is Over...if you want it". I heard him mention something about John Lennon and figured it must be a reference to a lyric in a Lennon song. I found it...



John Lennon- Happy XMAS (War Is Over)

8 Comments:

At September 13, 2006 7:15 PM, Blogger John Good said...

I'd never seen the video to that. Thanks, PT.

 
At September 13, 2006 8:10 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

I think John Lennon used to write that phrase on all sorts of things in the vietnam era.

 
At September 14, 2006 4:36 AM, Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

I'm humming the song right now. Wouldn't it be a wonderful gift for Christmas? John L was brilliant.

 
At September 14, 2006 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!

The movie The US vs. John Lennon should be out soon. I can't wait!!

Pam (here via Aboite).

 
At September 14, 2006 7:12 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

John,
I'd never seen the video either. I had, of course, heard the song before and always thought it was a nice Christmas song but didn't realize the background lyrics were what we posted on the freeway.

Mdhatter,
I'm obviously going to have to do more research on this Lennon character. My '60's anti-war knowledge is a bit lacking.

Mary,
Couldn't agree with you more.

Pam,
Thank you very much for stopping by and commenting. Anyone here via "Aboite" gets upgraded to a first-class seat on this blog.

 
At September 14, 2006 10:33 PM, Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

What do they get via Poetic Justice? Chopped liver!? :>)

Lennon? I'll try and help you do some research because that name is one I've never heard before. If you need my assistance do not hesitate to ask me. I'll use my series of tubes to search.

Peace.

 
At September 15, 2006 1:29 AM, Blogger sumo said...

I have always loved that song...and John Lennon just happened to be my favorite Beatle. When they hit 'the scene' one had to choose who was their favorite... that's just how it was then. It was an exciting time. I did alot of portraits in art class...yes sir I did!

 
At September 20, 2006 7:33 AM, Blogger enigma4ever said...

sigh ....I miss Lennon..but I know he would have loved the Freeway Bloggers...and I bet he and Oko would have blogged too....
Thanks for all of your hard work...and good work...
and feeding our souls with some Lennon....really needed it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home