Monday, November 06, 2006

Live Free or Die

These powerful words are not only the motto for the State of New Hampshire, they are a battle cry once uttered in 1776 by Patrick Henry, one of the most influential (and radical) advocates of the American Revolution and republicanism, especially in his denunciations of corruption in government officials and his defense of historic rights. Mr. Henry was most remembered for his speech to the Virginia House of Burgesses, in which he said, "Give me liberty or give me death." With both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson in attendance, this speech was credited as the reason for the committing of Virginia's troops to the Revolutionary War.



In more modern times, and in other parts of the world, these words can carry a very sinister meaning. In places such as Iraq, they can herald utter destruction and death, ramming "democracy" down their collective throat with an imperialist fistful of shock and awe...











For me, the words are a way to express to anyone and everyone who drives by and reads them, that I am here and I will be heard. Far too many good people gave up their lives so that I would have not only the right but the responsibility to voice my displeasure at a government that fails to represent 'We the People'.

To quote General Emiliano Zapata, "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!"

8 Comments:

At November 06, 2006 7:22 PM, Blogger Freewayblogger said...

Further proof that the founding fathers were just a bunch of Bush-haters.

 
At November 06, 2006 8:07 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

What the hell did the founding fathers know, anyway? Show me a man who can wrap himself in the flag and sing God Bless America, and I'll show you a true patriot.

 
At November 07, 2006 9:04 AM, Blogger azgoddess said...

the founding fathers were rich white men

who gave power to only land owning white males..

they had good ideas..
but we need to create a better world
with their ideas

freedom for all...not the select few

 
At November 07, 2006 9:20 AM, Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Bush Haters of the world, UNITE!!

 
At November 07, 2006 12:41 PM, Blogger Human said...

Really good post PT. I'm blogging from the Library.
Peace.

 
At November 07, 2006 2:10 PM, Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I've always been moved by those powerful words, "Live free or die." It always gives me shivers when I read, say or think about them. Same for "Give me liberty of give me death."

Or Ben Franklin's, "Those that would give up essential liberty in pursuit of a little temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security."

 
At November 08, 2006 12:03 AM, Blogger enigma4ever said...

Thank you so much for all of your hard work and great blogging.....great post to...

I too love this phrase...Live Free of Die...says it all...

 
At November 09, 2006 11:04 PM, Blogger Snave said...

Excellent post, PT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home