Saturday, November 04, 2006

Whew!

Most thrilling freewayblog yet...

As I headed home from work yesterday, I looked in the back of my car and noticed the pile of signs laying back there. They were practically begging to be hung up on the freeway. I figured since I'd had a great day at the end of a great week, what could be better than to hang a sign for all the folks stuck in traffic on US 101?

I headed over a few blocks from where I work to hang a sign on one of my favorite pedestrian bridges. Locals will recognize it as the blue bridge by the Vermont Street off-ramp. I parked, got out of the car, opened the rear hatch and selected the lucky winner to be hung today. No need for duct tape or bungee cords for this freewayblog. This bridge has the added convenience of having a double fence (with the inner fence at waist height), which allows us freewaybloggers to simply slide the sign between the two layers of fencing and head off on our merry way.

The traffic was really moving at a crawl today. While proudly nestling the sign into position, I heard a car horn honking below. I stood up and waved in the general direction of the familiar sound. I often get honks while hanging signs on this bridge as you are really exposed while educating the public here.

I turned and started to walk back towards the car, comforted by the thought of how many people would read that sign today when I heard a voice coming over a loud-speaker. The only word I picked out clearly was, "sign". I looked down at the traffic and, to my horror, spotted a CHP cruiser sweeping under the bridge like a shark hunting for hapless fishermen under a tiny boat. My heart skipped a beat as I saw the patrolman tear down the off-ramp, obviously intent on catching me in the act. I sprinted for the car, jumped in, started the engine, and floored it up the street, my eyes glued to the rear-view mirror. That off-ramp is so close to the bridge, I knew for certain he'd catch up to me. As I made a left and then a right, I headed toward a narrow winding street that I knew I'd lose him on.

As I came off the twisting residential road, I calmed down enough to decide that I'd loop back around onto the freeway and drive back to see if he'd taken my sign down. He may have seen me, but I was sure he hadn't spotted the car.

As I approached the bridge, I realized he hadn't taken the sign down yet. So I snapped a photo of it....



The only thing I can figure is he must have been driving around looking for me in that area.

Now you'd think that after an experience like that, I'd be too nervous to do any more freewayblogging. And you'd be wrong. I drove a few miles down the highway towards home and hung another sign in Daly City. This one right here, to be exact....


Man, this stuff is way too much fun. I think my freewayblogging addiction level just went up a few notches.

23 Comments:

At November 04, 2006 3:26 PM, Blogger spocko said...

Shit I better give you my number so I can come down and bail you out!

Do you perfer Bad Boys Bail bonds or Alladin? I like Alladin myself, the commericals are nicer.

 
At November 04, 2006 3:36 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Thanks, Spocko. Alladin sounds good. The mother on the Bad Boys ad scares the bejesus out of me.

 
At November 04, 2006 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, my heart leaped up in my throat just reading this! what would the cop have done if he caught up with you? automatic jail time for running, or? well, I congratulate you on a sign well-hung! ~~ D.K.

 
At November 04, 2006 7:17 PM, Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

OMG! Gasp. I was holding my breath reading that. Gooooo PT!

 
At November 04, 2006 9:16 PM, Blogger Freewayblogger said...

I got caught in-flagrente on the same bridge. Just finished hanging a three-part sign and was turning to make my getaway when two of San Francisco's Finest appeared right in front of me. There was no chance of getting away nor denying I was the culprit. I played the one and only card I had in the situation:cheerful compliance... "Hello Officers!"

"Y'know..." the biggest one said, "When I saw you hanging those signs I pulled off and was all ready to give you a ticket... maybe even take you downtown."

He looked up and off a bit, considering his next words. The late-afternoon sunlight glinted off his shades.

"But then, as we were pulling up, I started thinking about George Washington and what he was fighting for. And as I got out of the car and started walking onto the bridge to arrest you, I looked down at my feet and thought about those bloody footprints in the snows of Valley Forge, and I knew right then..."

He looked down at his feet.

"Well hell..." he said, "I knew right then what I really wanted to do was to shake your hand." He stuck out his hand and I shook it. "It's damn good to know there's still people like you left in this country."

Honest. Happens all the time.

 
At November 04, 2006 9:23 PM, Blogger John Good said...

Freeway Blogger- I needed that tonight! Thanks, dude!

 
At November 05, 2006 5:22 AM, Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Oh Hell Yeah PT!!

 
At November 05, 2006 10:56 AM, Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

BTW PT, I woke up this morning and decided to go do two things at once. I wanted to go and take time to actually go out for breakfast this morn. and at the same time, look for sites to do my first Bayou Blogging. Since my time is usually short and I had time this morn., I wanted to do someting for myself. And not far from home, I just got the giggles. I passed by a place that is a polling place and will have people voting on Tuesday!!

It is perfect, and will have "Impeach" to be seen by all that go to vote. Although low tech compared to your works of art, it might make a difference. I used the little time I have, and just wrapped some cardboard with white butcher's paper. Then out came the black marker, and presto!! Short time and then it was done. No waiting for paint to dry, and can be done real quick.

I will be sure to take pics as soon as they go up. Thanks for all you do buddy.

 
At November 05, 2006 11:51 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

I think this country can benefit a great deal from a little Bayou Blogging. Thanks, Donnie. Glad I was able to inspire you.

 
At November 05, 2006 7:26 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

awesome work! You rock dude

 
At November 05, 2006 8:27 PM, Blogger Dada said...

Oh great stuff, PT! You da man!

 
At November 06, 2006 12:40 AM, Blogger sumo said...

jGreat stroy and glad it turned out good for you and the freewayblogger too. There just aren't any decent places along the freeway here to place anything. It's such a disappointment...but I keep looking.

 
At November 06, 2006 4:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit, PT...when will you start respecting authority (and loving America?)We on the Right could use a man with your skills, as our message doesn't seem to be resonating using the more traditional forms of media. Any chance we'll see a "stay the course" sign for election day?

 
At November 06, 2006 5:58 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Graeme, Dada, and Sumo,
Thanks to all of you.

Rex,
I'm sure there will be plenty of "Stay the Course" signs posted in the Bay Area on Tuesday. I sadly have to change the numbers on them, though....

 
At November 06, 2006 7:02 AM, Blogger Snave said...

Good work! Glad you were able to elude The Man. Whew!

 
At November 06, 2006 3:53 PM, Blogger azgoddess said...

smile...great job!!! and so glad it didn't stop you -- we need more people like you!!

 
At November 06, 2006 5:04 PM, Blogger Lew Scannon said...

Ahh, the adrenaline rush of being hunted by the man. haven't felt that since I was a teenager. Thanks for bringing back old memories.

 
At November 07, 2006 12:48 PM, Blogger Human said...

Man, that was exciting. CHP's sure musta changed. They used to be the "good" Cops. At least around L.A. anyway.

Great job dude.
Peace.

 
At November 10, 2006 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a pussy ! If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Take it like a man next time.

 
At November 10, 2006 10:48 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Yes, and aren't you the brave one sitting there on your fat ass typing out an anonymous message. Keep up the good work, anonymous.

 
At November 14, 2006 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you GO BRO! Makes me wanna go out like, TONITE.

 
At November 15, 2006 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too got caught while in the act...they just pulled over the old man while I was hanging and told him if "someone complaines we'll have to take the sign down".
It was a big Wrong sign with the classic W and flag logo...it stayed up until midafternoon the next day.

 
At November 16, 2006 2:38 PM, Blogger GoMommyGo said...

When a friend said he believed in standing up in person, rather than anonymously, I came up the the idea for "Live" Freeway Blogging. The first live blog went reasonably well. Fortunately, the photographer from the Napa Register found us as we were hanging "TORTURE does nOt work" with my 10-year old son's help. Unfortunately, I don't think they published the photo. I also met up with one of the local Sherriffs who explained what was and was not allowed on "government" property. You CAN stand near a Highway holding a sign, but not ON the Highway. You can't hang signs on other people's property or THE People's (public) property. If you do, they will take it down and they COULD give you a ticket. The next Friday commute, we were positioned on the Trancas Street overpass with 2 blogs: "Where's Osama?" and "Absolute PoWer Corrupts". Local police ignored me, but a handsome CHP officer was afraid I was endangering the drivers below. I asserted that I was petitioning my gov't for redress and pointed to the Wine Train's ad also over the Freeway. He said they probably had a permit. I said commercial speech still doesn't trump free speech. He said he didn't want to argue. Neither did I. I cut the signs and the American Flag down from the fence which was helping me hold them up. He left. I went home on account of darkness.

http://www.gomommygo.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home