Sunday, October 22, 2006

A Must Read

This should be required reading for all Americans....

A Letter From Kevin Tillman
Pat Tillman (left) and his brother Kevin stand in front of a Chinook helicopter in Saudi Arabia before their tour of duty as Army Rangers in Iraq in 2003.


It is Pat’s birthday on November 6, and elections are the day after. It gets me thinking about a conversation I had with Pat before we joined the military. He spoke about the risks with signing the papers. How once we committed, we were at the mercy of the American leadership and the American people. How we could be thrown in a direction not of our volition. How fighting as a soldier would leave us without a voice… until we got out.

Much has happened since we handed over our voice:

Somehow we were sent to invade a nation because it was a direct threat to the American people, or to the world, or harbored terrorists, or was involved in the September 11 attacks, or received weapons-grade uranium from Niger, or had mobile weapons labs, or WMD, or had a need to be liberated, or we needed to establish a democracy, or stop an insurgency, or stop a civil war we created that can’t be called a civil war even though it is. Something like that.

Somehow our elected leaders were subverting international law and humanity by setting up secret prisons around the world, secretly kidnapping people, secretly holding them indefinitely, secretly not charging them with anything, secretly torturing them. Somehow that overt policy of torture became the fault of a few “bad apples” in the military. Somehow back at home, support for the soldiers meant having a five-year-old kindergartener scribble a picture with crayons and send it overseas, or slapping stickers on cars, or lobbying Congress for an extra pad in a helmet. It’s interesting that a soldier on his third or fourth tour should care about a drawing from a five-year-old; or a faded sticker on a car as his friends die around him; or an extra pad in a helmet, as if it will protect him when an IED throws his vehicle 50 feet into the air as his body comes apart and his skin melts to the seat.

Somehow the more soldiers that die, the more legitimate the illegal invasion becomes.

Somehow American leadership, whose only credit is lying to its people and illegally invading a nation, has been allowed to steal the courage, virtue and honor of its soldiers on the ground.

Somehow those afraid to fight an illegal invasion decades ago are allowed to send soldiers to die for an illegal invasion they started.

Somehow faking character, virtue and strength is tolerated.

Somehow profiting from tragedy and horror is tolerated.

Somehow the death of tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people is tolerated.

Somehow subversion of the Bill of Rights and The Constitution is tolerated.

Somehow suspension of Habeas Corpus is supposed to keep this country safe.

Somehow torture is tolerated.

Somehow lying is tolerated.

Somehow reason is being discarded for faith, dogma, and nonsense.

Somehow American leadership managed to create a more dangerous world.

Somehow a narrative is more important than reality.

Somehow America has become a country that projects everything that it is not and condemns everything that it is.

Somehow the most reasonable, trusted and respected country in the world has become one of the most irrational, belligerent, feared, and distrusted countries in the world.

Somehow being politically informed, diligent, and skeptical has been replaced by apathy through active ignorance.

Somehow the same incompetent, narcissistic, virtueless, vacuous, malicious criminals are still in charge of this country.

Somehow this is tolerated.

Somehow nobody is accountable for this.

In a democracy, the policy of the leaders is the policy of the people. So don’t be shocked when our grandkids bury much of this generation as traitors to the nation, to the world and to humanity. Most likely, they will come to know that “somehow” was nurtured by fear, insecurity and indifference, leaving the country vulnerable to unchecked, unchallenged parasites.

Luckily this country is still a democracy. People still have a voice. People still can take action. It can start after Pat’s birthday.

Brother and Friend of Pat Tillman,
Kevin Tillman
I wonder what will happen on the day after Pat's birthday. Thanks to The Freewayblogger for posting this. Letter originally posted on Truthdig.

15 Comments:

At October 22, 2006 10:19 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Donnie McDaniel said...
I never thought the day would come that this former Marine would be so ashamed of his country. Not meaning that I forgot how to love it, but just ashamed of what is happening. My Grand Uncle would be having fits if he was alive today! He was the one to teach me to love my country and was a major factor in my going into the military.

October 21, 2006 12:42 PM


Donnie posted this comment yesterday. Unfortunately I had to completely re-post this piece to add the photos to it. I didn't want to lose Donnie's valuable and poignant comment, so I copied and pasted it here. If you want a true view of how things are going in this country through the eyes of a former Marine, you can't do much better than Donnie's site, The Katrinacrat Blog. Thanks, Donnie.

 
At October 22, 2006 4:33 PM, Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

When I read that this morning, it choked me up. It shows the futility of this cursed war and all the deaths in the light. Sometimes the truth is painful - too bad the ones who caused it don't feel the pain.

 
At October 22, 2006 6:14 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

I hear you Mary.

 
At October 22, 2006 6:42 PM, Blogger Human said...

Great post. I read it earlier. The letter just makes me madder.

So young, intelligent and strong. WAFWASTE! grrrrrrr!

 
At October 22, 2006 7:31 PM, Blogger Lew Scannon said...

I can just imagine Bill O'Reilly getting his hands on this and commenting "This letter gives encouragement to our enemies". By his enemies, he means the Democrats.
This is something that should be read, or heard by every American. What it says is more important than anything else we'll hear the rest of the year.

 
At October 23, 2006 5:42 AM, Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Thanks PT. I just feel like my head is going to explode sometimes. This is not how our country is supposed to be.

 
At October 23, 2006 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill Oreilly gives encouragement to the enemy...neocons united. This marine is one of so many more. Thank you for posting this, PT. The Katrinacrat blog's been a regular stop of mine for some time now... Two other regular stops of mine are One Veterans Voice and No Accuser... I recommend them all three.

Thank you, PT.

Peace.

 
At October 23, 2006 1:08 PM, Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

PT,

My family has had someone serve in the military for generations. My generation would have been the first one skipped if not for me. My Grand Uncle I speak of spent something like 28 or 30 years in the army. I just have to tell you the story of the day I enlisted and telling him that I joined the Marines. LOL you will laugh at that one!! I might try to post that one today if I get a chance. But I think you know where it goes given the time he spent in the army. ;)

 
At October 23, 2006 3:00 PM, Blogger azgoddess said...

caught this on another blog!! keep passing it around~

 
At October 23, 2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Hey PT,

I got something for you!! Blogger Highlight

 
At October 23, 2006 8:05 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Wow! Thanks a million, Donnie. You should post the story about your Grand Uncle. I'm sure others would enjoy that as well.

 
At October 24, 2006 2:38 AM, Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

They just love the letter PT. BTW, that place is the birthplace of The Katrinacrat. That is where my transformation from Republican to what you see now happened. Stop by sometimes and tell the crew there hi.

Pamela is one hell of a woman. I literally showed up there out of the storms. My first comment there was sarcastic to say the least. Pamela talked to me and asked me to let everyone know what was going on down here after the storms because the MSM was not getting the word out.

That's where it all started. I will post the story on my Grand Uncle soon. You will get a laugh out of it.

 
At October 24, 2006 10:42 AM, Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Wow, that is powerful!!! I had chills reading this. Thanks for posting this. I agree that everyone in America needs to read this. I'm so tired of this war and sometimes tired of fighting but I must continue to fight the wing-nuts for the good of our soldiers. We MUST BRING THEM HOME NOW!!!!! I've had it over there.

 
At October 25, 2006 1:18 AM, Blogger sumo said...

I have seen it also...the message needs to kepp going out. So many injustices and so little time to expose them.

 
At October 28, 2006 9:44 PM, Blogger Snave said...

I am glad you don't seem to mind that I swiped this to put on my blog! I will be linking your site at mine very soon! Thanks, PTC!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home