Monday, May 01, 2006

Cruisin' With The Freewayblogger

Have you ever had one of those weekends where you look back on it and think, "That was so cool. Did that really happen?" This past weekend was one of those for me.

It started out Saturday morning when I participated in World Tai Chi Day in Emeryville. I met with members of my Tai Chi class as well as many others. At precisely 10:00 AM, we performed a set of Guang Ping Yang-style Tai Chi as a group. This was repeated by Tai Chi groups throughout the world at 10:00 AM in each time zone.

After that relaxing morning, I headed back to get ready for my son's swim team pool party, at which my wife and I volunteered to organize the food for the event. Which means that Mrs. PTCruiser did all of the work while I did my best to stay out of her way. Great job, honey.

Sunday was a real treat. I had a special visitor that day. Scarlet, aka The Freewayblogger came by my house for an afternoon of sign-painting, sign-hanging, homemade beer consuming, and political discourse. I have to admit I was a bit nervous about meeting him. I mean, this was the guy who started the whole thing. But my initial fears were quickly swept away by his warm handshake and seeing that he was a regular down-to-earth guy like me, just trying to make a difference in this world.

We immediately set about putting black paint to white cardboard. When we started out, my backyard looked like this:


A very short time later, it looked something like this:

By the end of our painting session, we had plenty of signs, so we loaded them into Scarlet's truck and headed out to plaster the freeways of San Francisco.



The thing Scarlet and I can't figure out is why in the hell there aren't more people out doing this. It is unbelievably easy to do and your right as a member of this nation. With a 36% approval rating, shouldn't there be at least 10% of the population frustrated enough to get off their asses and say something about their displeasure? Here's the perfect opportunity to do just that.



Here's a shot of Scarlet showing the rookie how it's done:

A bungee cord and a few strips of duct tape is all it takes to reach hundreds if not thousands of audience members. (Your results may vary based on traffic flow in your area.) Literally takes a few seconds. (I timed him.)

Don't forget to take pictures of your work. Sometimes these signs stay up for days, even weeks. Other times they're pulled down within hours by rage-filled conservatives who nearly have heart-attacks when they see the way you have dared to practice the ultimate form of patriotism...dissent.

  1. Obtain scrap cardboard.
  2. Paint cardboard white.
  3. Paint your message on cardboard.
  4. Hang sign on side of freeway or overpass.
  5. Repeat.

Scarlet, thanks for coming by and hanging out at the PTCruiser casa. The door is always open for you. Not only did I get the chance to meet a great American, but more importantly, so did my children. And when you get right down to it, that's what I'm doing all this for; In the hope that my children will NEVER be expected to go to war based on a lie.

Peace.

17 Comments:

At May 01, 2006 11:36 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

awesome!!! great work

 
At May 02, 2006 5:01 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Thanks, Graeme. It was a great time.

 
At May 02, 2006 5:11 AM, Blogger Dada said...

Thanks PTC for this post. Great work! Seeing this after watching Stephen Colbert skewer Bush, put him on the rotisserie over a steady flame was like whipped cream on the roast pig!

And it's great to see Colbert, "Scarlet" and you helping to enlarge conservative's and the media's comfort zones by exposing them to their uncomfortable zones; for working to reduce the 1/3 of Americans who still live the hallucination they are The Chosen! There's no known cure for a disease of that magnitude, but it's great to see folks like yourself working towards one!)

 
At May 02, 2006 8:59 AM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Cool! You did a good thing and you had fun. That's what it's all about.

 
At May 02, 2006 10:10 AM, Blogger Kathleen Callon said...

THIS IS SO AWESOME!

So happy for you. Haven't done anything like that in too long (used to sparaypaint MCDonald's billboards and pull stakes at construction sites before I had kids).

You did a great job with the signs. This so motivates me. We'll be driving up to Oregon fron S California in a couple months. I think I may follow your lead and leave a trail of signs behind me as I go.

Kudos, PT.

 
At May 02, 2006 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It makes me proud to know I raised a true AMERICAN.One who knows the real meaning of patriotism.My country right not wrong.

 
At May 02, 2006 12:35 PM, Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

Pt,
You have just bested the blogosphere today with your selfless post and dissenting work! You are a fine specimen of humanity, sir. As are the other two participants. I am psyched for a poem methinks! Thank you! :>)

 
At May 02, 2006 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, that's really coo--I mean...uh...unpatriotic! (Ahem, is my facade slipping yet! Kommandos better capture me soon for deprogramming.)

 
At May 02, 2006 4:40 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Wow, thanks to each and every one of you for all the compliments. If we can get that damn frog back on track leading his Kommandos, then between us we'll have the streets and the freeways of San Francisco secured.

Dada, there's nothing I like better than exposing people to their Uncomfortable Zones.

Glenda, thanks for keeping the surprise under your funny looking hat. Crown?

PoP, right on the money as usual. It was fun and I feel good every time I do it.

Kat, nothing would make me happier than seeing someone else take up the torch and start hanging signs out there with the rest of us.

Dad, this whole thing of speaking out for what you believe in, I guess a lot of it must have rubbed off on me. I'm just following your lead. Proudly.

Poetryman, great wordsmith that you are, thank you my friend and I'm looking forward to reading that poem.

Kvatch, I think we need an intervention on you and get that Kramerica garbage outta your amphibian brain. And your blog. :)

More to come. I'm just getting warmed up.

 
At May 02, 2006 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kvatch, I think we need an intervention on you and get that Kramerica garbage outta your amphibian brain. And your blog. :)

PT...not to worry. I'm being deprogrammed even as we speak. (One can only do so much patriotic bombast anyway. Apparently my limit is 4 posts.) Anyway, have I got something planned that will knock your socks off. :-)

 
At May 02, 2006 10:03 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Looking forward to the new and improved, same as the old frog.

 
At May 03, 2006 7:27 AM, Blogger Lily said...

PT That is so awesome and inspiring, thank you so much for sharing this and for sharing Scarlet and the mission. You guys are wonderful.

 
At May 03, 2006 4:09 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Thank you, EB.

 
At May 03, 2006 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome work PT. wish I could have been there with you. perhaps later this year... my move to CA is approaching rapidly.

 
At May 03, 2006 8:09 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Looking forward to another freewayblogger's arrival here in the Golden State.

We'll definitely have to get together and hang some signs when you get settled out here, Greg.

 
At May 03, 2006 11:21 PM, Blogger enigma4ever said...

GREAT WORK--- KEEP IT UP...SO AMAZING....( I am back...been off nursing friend- but getting caught up on Blogland- so I will lurk here for a bit....there were even rallies here in Cleveland on Monday....right downtown- tying up traffic...yahoo)....good to see that you are still storming the Castle PT...thank you....
We still need Change....for ALL....

 
At May 04, 2006 5:07 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Great to see you back, E4E. And thank you. Hope all is well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home