Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Saving Saddam

A Freewayblogging Tale

Some names have been changed to protect both the innocent and the not-so-innocent.


As any regular visitor to this blog will tell you, I love hanging signs at Hospital Curve in San Francisco. This stretch of Interstate 101 is positively packed with cars not only during the evening commute, but at most of the time throughout the day.

In a recent post on this blog, I decided to hang a sign at the Hospital Curve overpass which displayed both the current U.S. military casualty count and a picture of Saddam Hussein asking the public a question...


The death toll sign was taken down sometime shortly after it was put up. Maybe at the end of the day or a few hours after being hung there. The Saddam sign, however, stayed up for two days.

On the third day, I figured I might as well go out there and post another sign and maybe recover Saddam's picture as sometimes the signs are just left on the ground after being yanked. I told my son, Mini-Me, to get in the car so we could go rescue Saddam. He looked at me quizzically, and I said, "Just get in the car".

As we headed North on the 101 towards the city and rounded the curve, there he was; Saddam Hussein looking down at me and asking that unanswered question, "Happy?". What started as a hunch, turned into a rescue mission and I looked at Mini-Me in that way only a father can look at his son and said, "We can still save Saddam". That's when the lightbulb went on over his head.

I whipped the car off the freeway at the next exit and made haste for the pedestrian bridge.When we reached the span, there was the death toll sign, laying on the ground in tattered shreds below Saddam's visage. I instructed Mini-Me to quickly pick up the remnants of the torn sign while I removed Saddam from his post on The Bridge of Truth.



When i got home, I tried to put the casualty sign back together but, alas, the "guy who takes down the signs" had left all but one crucial one foot by six inch piece of the sign behind. That clever bastard. "I'm not defeated yet, you son-of-a-bitch!", my mind screamed out.


Realizing that every cloud has a silver lining, I glanced over at Saddam and said, "I've got plenty of cardboard. I'll make another sign for you."



17 Comments:

At June 19, 2007 9:25 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Rodrigo.

 
At June 19, 2007 11:37 PM, Blogger enigma4ever said...

Keep blogging it....I loved hearing you rage on....thank god for you....I am Back....for good....
I have missed you and your highway tales....fight on....

 
At June 20, 2007 3:26 AM, Blogger sumo said...

That was cool Mr. PT and mini pt...danger lurks everywhere though. Be careful of the fuzz!

 
At June 20, 2007 5:15 AM, Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Love the tale, the intrigue and the fight to do right.

 
At June 20, 2007 6:48 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

E4E!
Wow, is it good to see you back. You had a lot of us worried. I guess we can call off the search parties now.

Sumo,
I always try to stay one step ahead of the Keystone Kops.

Mary,
It was kind of fun writing it up as a story like that.

 
At June 20, 2007 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,

And Mini-Me said, Saaaaave Saaaadaaaaam, Daaaaaddyyyyy?

Hah! Making fun of him will never get old.

Missed you at dinner last night. Goo makes a mean rib-eye or whatever that was. And Jody's mashed potatoes kicked ass.

Love always,
Other Daughter

 
At June 20, 2007 8:09 AM, Blogger WeezieLou said...

that was a great tale! and great that you're bringing a new generation into the world of activism

 
At June 20, 2007 9:41 AM, Blogger beachblogger said...

dear pt,

great story. i have found many of my signs just like that, torn up, ripped up. well, i figure, that guy got the message, got a response from one person at least.

the impeach we put on the berm on the 8 was stapled to wooden stakes hammered into the ground, it worked good, lasted from morning into rush hour. the stakes were salvaged from political signs.

peace, peter

 
At June 20, 2007 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Bridge of Truth" ... wish there was one in my small town. I count it a good day when I don't encounter any W'04 bumper stickers (yes, still proudly displayed & carefully cleaned & shined). The local Democratic Party (whose quarterly meetings could be hosted in one small kitchen) sponsored a road-side clean-up sign that was almost immediately bullet-riddled & smeared with cow dung. That's why I love seeing your work, PT, it gives me hope. ~~ D.K.

 
At June 20, 2007 2:41 PM, Blogger Dada said...

Reading this, after just finishing the previous "Great Father's Day" blog, I found myself a little choked up.

"What a great legacy of wonderful memories PT's leaving his son," was my thought.

I imagine your boy looking back some years hence, smiling while fondly remembering his dad and he going out to "save Sadam."

Unless, of course, you and your boy are renditioned to Mauritania (our newest torture ally) and you end up receiving Morse code messages from the next cell over saying, "Dad, you son of a bitch!"

 
At June 20, 2007 6:18 PM, Blogger John Good said...

Rock ON, PT! =)

 
At June 21, 2007 8:41 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Thanks, John.

 
At June 21, 2007 9:34 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Dearest Other Daughter,
Mom brought a plate home for me. Damn, that man can cook, can't he?
Love, Dad

Weezie,
No young activist left behind.

Peter,
It's always nice to know that someone is paying attention and that we were able to bring out the best in them.

D.K.,
There's always hope.

Dada,
LMAO. Thanks, dude.

 
At June 21, 2007 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,
Seriously! Not to disparage Mom's cooking, of course, but why aren't we all having weekly dinners at the Goos'?

Love,
Other Daughter

 
At June 22, 2007 9:00 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

I'll bring the Guinness!

 
At June 24, 2007 1:55 PM, Blogger Psychomikeo said...

The sign is like the truth in America. It starts out whole...then Bush & his gang get ahold of the truth (the sign). Then "We"(the american ppl)find the sign(the truth)all ripped up. "We"(the american ppl)try to put the truth(the sign)back together only to find a PEACE is missing

 
At June 26, 2007 8:40 AM, Blogger enigma4ever said...

where's the Guiness ??? I came back...hmm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home