Tuesday, October 10, 2006

An Explanation

I'd like to apologize to my regular readers who've probably been wondering what I've been up to lately and why I haven't been posting very much.

You see, several months ago, some very good friends of ours opened a dance studio. When the studio opened, they asked if any parents would be interested in drumming for the dancers when they were performing Tahitian dance numbers. In competition, dance schools are expected to provide their own drummers for any of their dancers who make it to the final round of competition. Since both of my daughters take Tahitian dancing, I thought this would be a great opportunity to get involved with my daughters' activities and help out my friends at the same time. My son also decided to try out his hand at drumming so it's really become a big family activity.

I guess I picked up on the drumming fairly quickly as my friends bestowed upon me the honor of being the lead drummer for this group. It's a role that I've taken very seriously and have done all I can to not only improve upon my own drumming but to get our drumming group to play together as a cohesive unit. It's been very challenging but also very rewarding.

We've performed at a few shows and a parade so far and I think we've been steadily improving. But I have to tell you, there is no feeling in the world quite like being up on stage drumming and looking up to see your own daughter dance to the beat of your drum. That alone has made this all worth the effort.

So now you know what's been taking me away from this blog for large periods of time. We've been rehearsing like crazy these past few weeks for our performance at the San Francisco 49ers' halftime show coming up this weekend. We're all pretty excited about that.

And so, as I hastily write this post before I head off to work for the day, I want to thank all of you for your continued support and readership. I'll still be posting on here (though far less frequently) and you'll still be able to catch a glimpse of my freewayblogging. I'm not ready to give that up. The world needs my running commentary posted up on the freeway overpasses.

I've loaded up a sample of Tahitian drumming below. This is not my drumming group and while the video quality isn't very good, it's the best sounding video I could find on Tahitian drumming. Enjoy.

Drumming Merced 05

15 Comments:

At October 10, 2006 10:27 AM, Blogger azgoddess said...

how wonderful!! enjoy every minute - until they give you grandkids - grin

thanks for the update..and to let you know..i'm behind you 100%...take care

 
At October 10, 2006 11:29 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Thanks, AZ. It's readers like you who keep this blog going.

 
At October 10, 2006 3:27 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

That is a very good excuse.

 
At October 11, 2006 6:41 AM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I absolutely love this music. There was a group here locally who did the same sort of thing and I was like moth to a flame, couldn't walk away from it. The kids were having a wonderful time dancing too.

Shoot take all the time you can doing it, sounds great to me. Have fun, enjoy, live in the happiness.

 
At October 11, 2006 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this would be a great opportunity to get involved with my daughters' activities and help out my friends at the same time. My son also decided to try out his hand at drumming so it's really become a big family activity.

And that, my friend, is something I felt about you from the beginning... Not only are you a fellow soul, you are a deep thumping thunderous familial soul and a voice in so many ways! Your drumming, especially Tahitian, proves my suspicions- you might have more energy and spirit than the lot of us freedom fighters! (No offense to my other comrades :>)

Peace.

 
At October 11, 2006 6:54 PM, Blogger John Good said...

Thanks for the "splainin", PT! I was wondering what was going on. . .=)

 
At October 12, 2006 9:31 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Love the combination of music and politics on your blog. Mine's at http://www.mike-servethepople.blogspot.com
We're on sorta the same wavelength I think.
Regards

 
At October 13, 2006 6:07 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

MD,
I thought so, as well. Thanks.

PoP,
It is a lot of fun and not just for the kids. I really enjoy playing, even when it's just in the studio drumming for the girls to practice their moves.

Poetryman,
Wow! As usual, I am moved by your words. Thanks, my friend.

John,
Couldn't leave you in the dark for too long, now could I?

Glenda,
This particular one is actually reserved for Cheney. For Bush they bring out the big drums.

Mike,
Welcome, and thank you. I'll be sure to check out your site shortly.

 
At October 13, 2006 8:58 AM, Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

PT,

As always, you are a whirlwind of energy and inspiration. The talent in that boy is Amazing!! Beating drums and beating common sense into America. Blog on brother, blog on.

 
At October 13, 2006 9:06 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Thank you very much, Donnie. You're an inspiration as well.

 
At October 13, 2006 2:58 PM, Blogger sumo said...

Do you have to dress in appropriate costume to blend with the dancers? I think you are a very good daddy.

 
At October 13, 2006 4:17 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Thanks, Sumo. Yes, we wear costumes while performing in public. It usually consists of what looks like a poncho on top and a pareo(skirt) or shorts on bottom with a headpiece of either tea leaves or corn husks.

 
At October 14, 2006 1:01 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

Awesome! Good luck at the halftime show

 
At October 14, 2006 1:04 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Thanks, Graeme. We had a rehearsal today and it's sounding pretty tight.

 
At October 22, 2006 6:49 PM, Blogger Human said...

So how long did it take for you to drum up this excuse?
I was wondering why you were not around much. I thought maybe it was the start of the school year.

Anyways, at every Peace demonstration I've been at, there are drums. At the bigun Sept. before last, there was this huge drum. About 6 people could drum at the same time on t. hey were letting anybody come up and drum. It felt great!

Drum on buddy and Blog when ya can.

Peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home