Saturday, July 14, 2007

Weekend Music Video

This weekend we have "The Man in Black" in the last video he ever made performing a song written by Trent Reznor. Enjoy...

Johnny Cash - Hurt


Below is the video for the same song, performed by Reznor and Nine Inch Nails...

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt


I found an article in Rolling Stone which discusses this collaboration. It's an interview with Trent Reznor on Johnny Cash performing his song:


In Other Words: Trent Reznor
Industrial heavyweight delivers a eulogy for a country legend
ANTHONY DECURTIS Posted Jun 07, 2005 12:00 AM

When Johnny Cash first told me he was recording the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt," I was immediately struck by how brilliant that was. "When I heard that song, I thought, 'That sounds like something I could've written in the Sixties,'" Cash said about the original version. "There's more heart and soul and pain in that song than any that's come along in a long time. I love it." Cash then took Trent Reznor's tortured rendering of the agony of addiction and transformed it into a stunning meditation on mortality itself.

Then came Mark Romanek's video. Cash, withered by his illness, bravely allowed himself to be shown exactly as he looked, juxtaposed with images of him as a young man that bristle with virility and life. It is a stunning statement of his artistic integrity and his commitment to the truth.


When I wrote Cash's obituary for Rolling Stone, I wanted to speak with Reznor about Cash's interpretation of the song and Romanek's video. Even though the video had attracted a huge amount of attention -- earning seven nominations at MTV's Video Music Awards and winning one -- Reznor had not publicly spoken about it. I knew that he would have something powerful to say, and he did.

In In Other Words, a longer version of this interview appears in a section called "Cash Family Values," that also includes interviews with Johnny Cash, June Carter Cash, Rosanne Cash, Bono and Tom Petty.

Click here for the interview. I found it to be very interesting.

10 Comments:

At July 15, 2007 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was great. The Johnny Cash version always makes me cry, but I never knew who wrote it. I did find it strange that Reznor says he hasn't listened to his own version since Cash did it. Or maybe not so strange, since it became Johnny's swan song. Thanks for both videos. Some of those background pics on 9-inch nails look like my home state (nukes & yuccas). ~~ D.K.

 
At July 15, 2007 12:56 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

D.K.,
Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I think the reason Reznor can't look at his own version anymore is because Cash did such a touching version of the song. Anyone who looks at the Cash version and doesn't feel something is just dead to the world. Particularly anyone who knows the story of Johnny Cash.

 
At July 15, 2007 1:33 PM, Blogger WeezieLou said...

i didn't even listenb to the second. i felt so overwhelmed by cash's version. i sent it to my partner, who's in the home office - i hear her playing it. it's absolutely haunting. thanks, PT. i always come away from your post just a bit wiser.

 
At July 15, 2007 3:31 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Thank you, Weezielou.

 
At July 15, 2007 6:47 PM, Blogger John Good said...

PT - Thanks for posting this. I'd heard the song, but never saw Cash's video. Very moving. . .

 
At July 15, 2007 8:55 PM, Blogger Evil Spock said...

I never had the opportunity to see Johnny Cash live, but I did see NIN several times in the mid-90's.

Nice to see two geniuses working together.

 
At July 16, 2007 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I saw Cash and Waylon play together a long time ago...what a charismatic duo.

 
At July 16, 2007 1:21 PM, Blogger enigma4ever said...

that was amazing, I didn't know the background - I love both versions of the song- and I didn't know the details of the video...I just thought he was grieving for his beautiful lady...brokenhearted...and literally broken...but now I see it was done with great strength and courage....stunning.

 
At July 18, 2007 9:48 AM, Blogger Psychomikeo said...

Cash was & still is better than any of the pop country carp that's played on the radio.

Country Heroes

Well, oh what a feeling
that burns down low
when you ain't got no where to turn,
or no where to go
It makes me feel like sometimes
I'm outta control
So I'm gonna get wasted
with all my country heroes

I'm drinkin' some George Jones,
and a little bit of Coe
Haggard's easin' my misery
and Waylon's keepin' me from home
Hank's givin' me those high times -
Cash is gonna sing it low
I'm here gettin' wasted -
just like my country heroes

I'm drinkin' that whiskey
out of that glass
and if that ain't country,
boy, you can kiss my ass
I wanna hear them old songs -
nothin' of the new
'cause this might be the last time
I'm gonna see you

So I'm drinkin' some George Jones,
and a little bit of Coe
Haggard's easin' my misery
and Waylon's keepin' me from home
Hanks givin' me those high times -
Cash is gonna sing it low
and I'm here gettin' wasted -
just like my country heroes

I'm here gettin' wasted -
with all my country heroes

Hank III

 
At March 22, 2009 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Post! Thanks for the comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home