Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Pause for Reflection and a Moment of Gratitude

This may come as a bit of a shock to all ten of my readers, but I haven't been posting very much lately. I've been thinking of changing the look of this blog and that leads me to the gratitude part of the title of this post.

There's a little green frog named Kvatch who runs a magnificent blog called Blognonymous. One day Kvatch noticed that there were some inconsistencies with the layout of my blog; namely, that when you clicked on an individual post, the comment section looked like a train wreck. This was due to an error on my part while trying to install a site meter.

To make a long story short, my web-footed friend graciously offered to make the necessary repairs to my mistreated blog and I happily accepted. Being very happy with the results, I started thinking of ways I could change the look of the blog to more closely represent my current political leanings toward revolutionary communism.

As you can see, my exhaustive efforts have led to what you see here....a concrete wall. I still haven't decided if i like it, so if it doesn't appeal to your eye, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'm not too savvy with this kind of thing, and I don't want to create another disaster that I may have to ask my friend Kvatch to fix, so it's been pretty slow going.

I plan on changing the banner across the top. The title and subtitle will be the same although I'd like to change the font, colors, add some images, etc.

For those of you who don't know, I started this blog not as a tribute to that sad-looking Chrysler answer to the AMC Pacer, but for documenting my adventures while travelling on Public Transportation. I thought PTCruiser with the PT short for Public Transportation would be a great title. Not my most creative moment, but I do get a lot of hits on this blog from car enthusiasts. Of course, once they realize what this site is about, they quickly click back to where they came from.

After only one post about riding public transportation, it dawned on me that if it was boring me to tears, it might end up killing someone else. I then started shifting towards a more political angle in my posts and eventually ended up where we are today, with a guy who's not happy at all with his government and trying to learn as much as he can about how to make a change.

It seems wrong to think about changing the name of the blog at this point. Not that I'm some famous blogger who's making money off of his blog or anything, but I guess the name has kind of grown on me. It's so much a part of me now that even when I talk to Scarlet on the phone about our latest freewayblogging adventure, he'll pick up the phone and say, "Hey, PT!". It's kind of become a sort of alter-ego.

Not that I hide my political feelings. I love talking politics to people, especially at work. I'm not always met with open arms or minds when it comes to my political views. In this me, me, me society my political stance is more often than not given a look of bewilderment and then an attempt at a change of subject. So I do my best to keep the conversation going and trying to get that other person or people to take a moment and think about what I'm trying to get across. It's hit or miss. I devour books the way an alchoholic devours cheap vodka in order to expand my understanding of politics and their effect on society. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

I don't think I've ever written this much in one post (or several posts for that matter) since I've started this blog. Hope I haven't bored you. I just felt like letting all of you in on some of my personal feelings.

Take care, and thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It really means a lot to me.

15 Comments:

At May 31, 2007 2:18 AM, Blogger sumo said...

You are looking fine to me. A few changes goes a long way...kind of like a new haircut...or rearranging the furniture. Experiment!

 
At May 31, 2007 3:40 AM, Blogger Dada said...

PT: Thanks for the explanation of the new look. I agree, PT is definitely a great moniker and had I not been shopping for a new car a year and 1/2 ago, I would have totally missed out on this great site.

The new look triggers a certain amount of ambivalence. It certainly struck me upon opening the page and I relate to it as reflection of where you are.

I gasped at first glimpse of it mostly because since the turn of the century when our former governor decided to be installed as "our" president, my forehead has been meeting your background in frequent and violent smashings. In that respect, your stonewall is about *perfect*...yet a painful reminder.

 
At May 31, 2007 4:26 AM, Blogger Psychomikeo said...

I wasn't sure it was a wall. When dealing with politics it is like hitting a wall. I think I need some cheap vodka...cheers

 
At May 31, 2007 7:20 AM, Blogger beachblogger said...

dear PT,

i like the concrete look! a nice solid look.

peace, peter

 
At May 31, 2007 8:49 AM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

You know what, PT? My opinion really doesn't matter, I visit you for the content of your posts. Do whatever makes you happy with your site, just don't stop posting, okay? :)

 
At May 31, 2007 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, I love you, Dad. You're the best subversive dad EVER! See you tonight!!

~ Other Daughter

 
At May 31, 2007 10:33 AM, Blogger azgoddess said...

i like the wall look -- first thing i noticed when i came to visit today..

and wow -- nice getting-to-know you blog post..

keep on - keeping on my friend!!

 
At May 31, 2007 12:22 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Sumo,
Yeah, sort of a spring cleaning thing.

Dada,
I knew I'd snag someone looking for a car.

Mike,
I know the feeling, man.

Peter,
Thank you, comrade.

Do whatever makes you happy with your site, just don't stop posting, okay? :)

No need to worry, PoP. I'm not ready to give up blogging just yet. I don't want to end up on Kvatch's "Bloggers I Have Known" series.

Dearest Other Daughter,
You're the bestest, most supportive other daughter EVER! See you tonight.
Love, Dad

AZ,
Thank you. Glad you like it.

 
At May 31, 2007 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PT... Lending a hand on the template was my pleasure. Like I said, it all boils down to having a really good XML editor.

Don't change the name. An identity is worth a lot in my opinion, and since I've mentioned you to my Aussie compadres as a "go to" source on freeway blogging, it would be a shame if they couldn't find you.

Like the look too, though as things evolve, you could tear down the wall--Pink Floyd or Berlin style.

 
At May 31, 2007 1:15 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Thanks again, Kvatch. And if I do decide to tear down the wall, I'll be handing you a hammer to help me out.

 
At May 31, 2007 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the concrete. Nice touch.

 
At May 31, 2007 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing the new look just now, I thought maybe you were posting from the wrong side of an old jail. But I like it, I do! Coming from a long line of masons (real brick/block masons, not the secret society ones), I love seeing concrete, although this particular concrete could've used a better finisher ... or maybe you got a hot load (that's one that has already begun to set up before the finisher can begin, hence the crumbly look & usually discounted price). Well, you could always white-wash it & use it for one of your signs. Anyway you do it is fine with me, just keep those fwy signs going!

ps, I know I don't always comment, but do count me among your readers. I recall first reading you on Enigma's Watergate Summer blog where you commented you had the Bay Area covered for her book when she finishes it. I hate to tell you what I thought PT stood for. ~~ D.K.

 
At May 31, 2007 10:19 PM, Blogger Freewayblogger said...

I like the wall, and the editorial decision to go beyond Public Transit anecdotes. The name, well, you're stuck with it... but you know that.

I detect a certain melancholy in your tone... goes with the times I'm afraid. One thing good about these times though is that it's pointless to make any major decisions... too much could happen too soon to render them pointless. Next week, for example, could very well be catastrophic somehow... maybe even tomorrow. Takes a lot of the heat off things like personal crossroads, dontcha think?

 
At June 01, 2007 8:38 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

MD,
Thank you.

D.K.,
Glad you like the concrete. I was looking for something with a lot of flaws in it. Feels more real, somehow, you know? Thank you for your dedicated readership. Wow, that comment on Watergate Summer feels like such a long time ago.

Scarlet,
Been working on clearing the cobwebs in my mind whilst cleaning the ones on this blog. Sometimes I just have to stop, take a breath, and then continue forging ahead.

 
At June 02, 2007 8:07 PM, Blogger John Good said...

PT - Great to see you at work again. POP nailed it - do what YOU like; we'll be dropping by regardless! And the background IS interesting and unique.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home