Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut 1922-2007

Author Kurt Vonnegut passed away yesterday as a result of injuries from a fall in his Manhattan home. More here.

A writer with a sense of humor unlike any other, Vonnegut will be missed. In fact his "Slaughterhouse-Five" is one of the very few books listed in my profile under "Favorite Books".

Kurt, when they made you, they broke the mold. So long and thanks for all you've given us.

Kurt Vonnegut quotes:

"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country."

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center."

Kurt Vonnegut Biography

8 Comments:

At April 12, 2007 10:41 AM, Blogger thephoenixnyc said...

And and American cultural legend passes. R.I.P.

I know this means I am going to pick the books up again and have a go through.

 
At April 12, 2007 10:46 AM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

I'll be doing the same, Phoenix.

 
At April 12, 2007 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just loved the way Vonnegut combined the most insightful thoughts with humor. Truly a national treasure. You can read a lot of his more recent writings on www.inthesetimes.com -- probably not today though, they are getting so many hits. PT, just like Billy Pilgrim, I think Vonnegut is now unhinged in time & will forever be popping in & out of our consciences. ~~ D.K.

 
At April 12, 2007 11:57 AM, Blogger sumo said...

d.k. here's hoping that is true. He will be missed.

 
At April 12, 2007 12:58 PM, Blogger Mariamariacuchita said...

and so it goes...I can still remember the first book of his I read in college...it's around here someplace.

 
At April 12, 2007 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was fortunate to have met him briefly once, and to attend a Q&A where I got to ask him a Q.

He could approach deeply sorrowful events in a way that made you fight back tears of laughter.

What a mind. What a loss.

 
At April 12, 2007 10:45 PM, Blogger celticfire said...

How ironic! I posted the same quote LOL

 
At April 13, 2007 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked when he announced he was suing the tobacco companies-
Not for making him sick with their poison, but that it had taken TOO LONG to work properly.

I hope I can meet him on the other side- (if there is an other side)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home