Saturday, January 27, 2007

Vonage Sucks !

It's great to be back online. I feel like I have so much bottled up inside that needs to be said.

First and foremost, thank you to all of my loyal readers for your patience. My biggest fear of not having the ability to be able to post on a regular basis is loss of readership. I'm sure I've lost several readers over the past few weeks, but I'll just have to try that much harder now.

And now, on to Vonage. If you're considering signing up for Vonage, please reconsider, or at least look a little further into it before signing your online and telephone life away. I blame myself for not doing more research on it. I should've known certain basic things, like the fact that DSL only works when you have an active phone line attached to it. Trying to set up Vonage on a DSL system is like trying to invent a perpetual motion machine...while drunk...and blindfolded...with both hands tied behind your back...and an elephant sitting on your chest.

And yes, I'm still desperately trying to think of a way to blame this whole Vonage experience on George W. Bush. No such luck, as of yet, but I haven't given up.

While I can say that the customer service reps at Vonage were very friendly and helpful, it was in dealing with their "tech support" that convinced me, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that I absolutely did not want this service even if it was for free. They actually sent me out to the store to purchase a router. One night, after about an hour of futile "troubleshooting" the lightbulb above my head suddenly turned on and I explained to the "technician" that DSL does not work without a working phone line attached to it.....complete silence on the other end of the line. That was the turning point. I then quickly and purposefully decided to dig myself back out of the hole that I had dug, and called AT&T to sheepishly explain the error of my ways and asked to come back to the fold. Want to know what AT&T did? They gave me a $50.00 gift certificate for coming back.

One other interesting thing that I discovered while doing after-the-fact research is that there is a registered site under the domain name, vonagesucks.com. Go ahead and click on it. I guess they knew there'd be problems in starting a VOIP company without tech support.

17 Comments:

At January 27, 2007 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, man! =)

 
At January 27, 2007 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may call for an announcement. . .

 
At January 27, 2007 8:11 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

I would dare say most of your "readers" are either going 60, or are stuck in traffic.

Nevermind us (the choir), preach it to the freeway!

 
At January 27, 2007 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PT, glad you're back up! Sorry about your lousy experience, but it has provided valuable info for me. I've seen the Vonage ads & thought about them since our broadband is being gobbled up. But now ... NO WAY. I'd go back to DSL in a heartbeat but even that isn't available in my current isolated utah location. In the end, I wonder if those bundled pkg deals ever really save any $$. ~~ D.K.

 
At January 28, 2007 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like vontage caught on to the "vontagesucks" web site. Sounds like some misleading advertising, I thought from their commercials, you just had a phone going to your cable modem or something.
Glad your back on-line though.

 
At January 28, 2007 7:05 AM, Blogger Human said...

Welcome back PT! John did a post on ya so as to let us know you returned.

Yesterday me and a few friends went down to DC to protest the American-Iraq War.
A report and pics are at my place.

Peace.

 
At January 28, 2007 8:03 AM, Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Glad to have you back buddy! So now the Marines are coming to your rescue again. So this is how I see it my friend. Bush sucks up to corporate america and allows them to do and say things that are not fair. All at the expense of we the people. This is an example of that. Therefore, this really is Bush's fault! Damn that man! He did this shit to you!!! Can you see where I'm coming from? Damn that man's hide!!!!!!!!!

 
At January 28, 2007 8:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad your up and running agin PT, welcome back you wonderful Patriot! :)

 
At January 28, 2007 9:38 AM, Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Good to see your site come up on Bloglines again. One point I would add on the Vonage thing is that AT&T is known to block or hinder Vonage on their ISP - it's part of the net neutrality war. We have Verizon who isn't doing this - yet. So, we have Vonage and my brother and sister do, too with no problems.

 
At January 28, 2007 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude...welcome back! The comment section of your template is way, Way, WAY broken. ;-)

 
At January 28, 2007 6:12 PM, Blogger PTCruiser said...

Net neutrality war is hell, ain't it Mary?

Thanks, Froggy. I'll get my mechanic to take a look at it this week.

 
At January 29, 2007 1:34 AM, Blogger Dada said...

Hey, great to see you back PT. I took up knitting in your absence. I'm SOOOO glad you're up and running again!

 
At January 29, 2007 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PT,

I had the same experience with Vonage when I moved from Fort Wayne to Ohio. Fort Wayne is literally wired to the teeth with Verizon fiber optic internet service...really amazing stuff, and tailor-made for the Vonage application. When I moved to Ohio, I was back on copper and virtually every Verizon customer service rep I spoke with told me I had to buy a phone line (with phone service, no less) to get DSL to my home.

False.

There is a little known (to residential consumers anyway) animal out there called the "dry loop" or "data only" DSL. It allows you to basically tap directly into the internet with no dial tone. It took me about a month to get the thing installed, but now my phone bill is right back to that "save up to 60%" Vonage pledge that I once enjoyed on the fiber network.

Here's the thing...it really isn't the fault of Vonage. Every phone carrier out there has different policies and procedures about how they provide internet service in conjunction with their phone service. If they tell you that you must have an active phone line to get DSL to you, it means that you live in a technologically inferior area (I question this in San Fran, I would think your tech infrastructure would be pretty sweet there), or the copper owners are giving you a hose-down. I would suspect the latter.

 
At January 29, 2007 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Welcome back! Some stuff was going on with me while you were away. No big deal. Google me and Disney or ABC or KSFO sometime when you have a chance.

Your fan,
LLAP,
Spocko
p.s. Be sure to read the entire EFF letter to ABC lawyers at their site. It's good.

 
At January 30, 2007 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you got it all worked out!

 
At January 30, 2007 11:20 AM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Bless your heart, sounds like you visited hell. Glad you got away before the gates shut on you.

And that's why I fear new computer-ish things. Seems they never work out exactly as planned.

Welcome back!

 
At February 22, 2007 9:12 AM, Blogger 1138 said...

Whoa boy!
And people used to get ticked at me when I'd ask if their phone was plugged in.
(I'm a former telco slave)

This should have never gotten this far, on your part or theirs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home